Friday, August 19, 2011

Blocking, knees, backward skating and fingers.

We have started blocking in recruitment now and I have noticed something. Some of the girls...actually get as low as they can to the ground when is my turn to block them. You know what that means? They are scared of me. They are aware that once I master skating I shall be a mighty blocker that will just make them tumble to the ground!

Either that or they don't want me to accidentally loose my balance and fall on top of them. It's all very possible. For my sake I'm going to with the mighty blocker reference. Specially with what I did to my roommate/friend.


These bruises and the ones made by other psycho sisters made her job tell her that she couldn't wear short sleeved shirts to work.

For the most part I think I'll be ok at blocking is just a matter of skating and doing it at the same time. I mean that's the big issue with me I think that I just need more confidence in my skates and then I'll be ok. I bitch and whine a lot, saying I don't want to do this anymore but there are times when I feel down on myself during practice and there are other times when I feel fantastic. I think is all in my head, just like how I psych myself out when I backwards skate.

I have no idea how or why I can do it but I'm all right at backward skating. This isn't to say that I'm fantastic at it, but I could be doing a lot worst. However, it is the fact that I'm not doing awful at it that psyches me out. While I'm skating I think OMG I must be doing something wrong because it seems that I am moving and going slightly faster. Then I just think too much and slow down even though three seconds ago I was going faster. I swear I am insane.

Today we did a very scary thing. We have been working on being a pack for a little while and one of the exercises was just skating and plow stopping. At some point I ended up on top of another girl on the floor (probably messed up my sticky skating) and her wheel seems to have hit my finger. How the hell do I injure my finger and it doesn't involved getting it run over? I have no clue but this is my luck

Yeah it doesn't look like much but it looked swollen and I couldn't move it... I'm a pansy ok?

We then pretended to be jammers which just reminded me jamming scares the hell out of me. However I feel like I did an acceptable job. There was a time when they were skating and we had to push through a group of blockers (they were just standing not really blocking) and then they were standing still but we had to step on skates. I was hoping that by going to the group of blockers I wouldn't have to deal but yeah didn't quite work. I feel like I'm at least getting faster even if I die in the process.

Oh that reminds me, we practiced whips and some other sort of blocking. I was paired with one of the psycho sister that I affectionately call The Wall because honestly she is a solid wall. She was very helpful and patient. During the other drills all of the sisters were so helpful. One of them tried pushing me and even dragging me behind her when I couldn't keep up. Once again this women in this League are amazing and I am so lucky that they seem to not have given up on me. Hell, I think that even one of the referees believe in me because he's always pushing me to do better. These ladies are amazing and I would have probably given up on myself if it weren't for them and my roommate. The way they cheer and compliment me even though I am horrific gives me hope. Even if I feel like dying most of the time.

We did burpees today... I think I should end that sentence right there, but I have to get this out of my chest. WHO THE HELL INVENTED BURPEES? What type of masochistic person decided you know push ups aren't bad enough we should make them jump and then go to the ground and then just ha ha we'll make them do insane things before they do a push up. During these I seem to have acquired a bump on my knee.


I should be used to getting hurt on my knees but this one hurt.

I whine, complain, bitch and moan but believe me I'll be there next week. Why? Clearly I'm a masochist. Also I think the bruises give me character! As a bonus here is a picture of another bruise from when I tried to block one of the psycho sister. I made her move a bit but I ended up on the floor.

I've never taken these many pics of random parts of my body... Maybe if you piece them all together you can get an idea of what I look like. Add the flailing arms to that image and I promise you it will never be enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment