Thursday, July 21, 2011

For once not a depressing post.

Practice was today! Honestly today I was kind of sad and thinking about how much of a failure I was going to look like again. Also, I have been fighting a cold since yesterday so me being unable to breathe properly wasn't helping the situation.

My friend, another skater, and me (I have been obsessing over this sentence a lot sorry if it's badly written but my brain is kind of tired and I always had problem with I and me use) were pulled aside to get some one on one attention with some of the league sisters. A part of me felt bad, but then I told myself you know this is what I need. I need help, and they are willing to offer it to me. I have a hard time accepting some times that they are nice people that want to help and don't have any other interest other than wanting to help.

The one on one attention is awesome,  and they were able to point out the things I was doing wrong which helped a lot in improving myself. I was able to properly do a superman fall because I realized that my belly was supposed to touch the floor completely. Some stuff is still messy but I think I overall did better mainly because I came to accept something that my friend Heather has pointed out to me.

Today was around my 5th time on these type of skates, and it was my 3rd time on my own pair. It's a miracle that I can even stand on it let alone do some of the stuff I am doing. Mind you, this by no means I am allowing myself to slack off. I want to be able to catch up to the other recruitment girls as hard as that seems and as unlikely as it is. However, I need to see how much better am doing than when I put on the rental skates that first night of training. This is extremely hard to do specially with how amazing some of the skaters are, but hey they probably have been on skates more than 5 times and if they haven't then... they probably don't trip on their own feet while going down the stairs.

One of the things I was most proud of today was the fact that I was able to do crossovers. Let me point out how I felt the first time I tried to do crossovers. When I tried to put my foot in front of the other my whole body seemed to scream out at me saying "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? YOUR FEET ARE HUGE AND YOU HAVE THEM ON SKATES WE ARE GOING TO DIE!". I know this sounds like I'm exaggerating but honestly my body tends to talk to me a lot when I'm trying something new ... it tends to scream and shout when I'm trying to do something new while I'm on skates. 

The Psycho Sisters were able to show me step by step how to do crossovers and I wasn't sure how to do them and I can't pinpoint the moment when I actually started to just do them as I was getting to turns but when I realized how fast I was going I started laughing, when I realized I was actually doing crossovers I started yelling and feeling so incredibly happy and proud of myself that I didn't know how to deal with it.

I know it sounds strange since I haven't mentioned almost dying yet and I assure I did almost die or felt like I was going to at some points. There was this one moment where something happened (which was probably me not bending my knees) and I fell completely on my side in such a way that my thigh collided with my groin area and I had swore I had broken the anatomical part of my body that makes me a female. However, I stood up and didn't freak out and just kept going and hell yeah I tried crossovers at my next turn.

Also, you know what? I have no idea what the hell I was doing before hand to do turns? I have no fuckin clue what I was doing but it was horrible. Turns are so much better with crossovers! Beforehand I swear my freaking foot that was on the outside felt like that cart at walmart that you accidentally pick that has the bad wheel! Odd thing is though, I can't think about doing crossovers too much while I'm doing it or that I'm going faster... because I freak out and mess up.

Finally after our special class we were able to join the rest of recruitment. They started playing music and we were able to dance a bit. We tried doing the electric slide but I have no idea how to do that. Mainly, because I'm Puerto Rican and had no idea what the electric slide even was before I moved here. We also did that stupid cupid shuffle...that I still have no idea how to do because I'm special but I tried!  They also played the chacha slide which was awesome except... you can't really do the Charlie Brown on skates. I am not even entirely sure I know what Charlie Brown is.

After that we also did a game of green light, red light. I had been telling Heather before how great that would be to practice stops! And it was! I was only sent back once! This all reminded me that I have to push myself hard, and that I need to focus on things but most importantly this is also supposed to be fun. I mean, I really want to make it and be one of those cool derby girls but the whole process is also supposed to be fun and amazing especially since I had never put one these type of skates before and because my rollerblading days before hand were a joke since I usually just flailed my arms like an idiot and ate pavement. 


... I just realized I didn't post any pictures today well... I referenced tripping over my own feet and falling on the stairs in my apartment. Here's a picture to commemorate that:

This isn't even as bad as it originally was...

No comments:

Post a Comment