Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recruitment and Training Day 1

I would like to start this by saying that I have no idea how this thought of me being graceful on roller skates came to me. Oh, wait I know perfectly well what happened.

There I was one day with nothing to do on a weekend when my friend Heather asks me to go see derby with her. Now in my head I just thought of hot girls on roller skates beating each other up. Then I thought of how cool fishnets and booty shorts were and I decided that hell yeah I was going to see roller derby.

During the match, seeing those girls be so graceful and just bad ass moved me and a couple of months later my friend told me about recruitment and how she was  thinking of going. It became clear that she was going when she bought the skates so I shrugged my shoulders and decided why not.

Did I stated all ready that I have the grace of a rhino? I flail my arms around and it takes a lot of concentration for me to coordinate what my arms and legs are doing together. Also I fall on a regular basis. One day I tripped on my own feet and fell down the stairs in my apartment, I am also ridiculously tall and sometimes get off balance when I'm regularly walking. So you should realize that there is absolutely no real reason why I should be doing this to myself. Oh I also hate sports, get easilly tired and I'm incredibly lazy. Yeah, this seems like a great idea.

Well recruitment came and went. Everyone was extremely nice to me and my friend. just getting to know these wonderful and amazing girls made me want to do it even more. Also... I fell a bunch of times and got a bruise on my knee. I'm not joking, seriously...look:


Yes, I got a bruise after only 20 minutes of skating. Told you I was as graceful as a rhino. After recruitment I also decided to go and try things out at an adult skate at a local ring. never again I got run over EVEN on the beginners ring. Well, might as well get used to that.

It is noteworthy to say that there was a drawing of a rhino on the wall. The rhino was more graceful than I was.

Today I felt sick to my stomach while thinking about doing training. I don't even own my own pair of skates! I have to use the rental ones, and most of my gear is hand me downs. Oh yeah, this is how I'm rocking it! We learned how to fall. You would think that after falling so many times I would know how to do it. Well... I don't. I seem to have the consistency of a water balloon so while the other derby girls seemed to glide on their kneepads I just fell down and...exploded. We also did the slider falls which I kind of got the hang of.

The strange part is though even though all of this I want to go and do it again. Well I all ready spent the same amount I make on a whole day of work and am aware I will spend a lot more on it so I'm probably going to stick around for this. But I will probably kill myself in the floor or get run over.

No comments:

Post a Comment